NMN supplements have flooded the market.
The rising popularity of NMN as a supplement to slow down aging stems from many scientific studies showing that NMN can slow down aging, and by positive claims about NMN as a longevity ingredient by well-known researchers, like Professor David Sinclair from Harvard University, Professor Shin-ichiro Imai from Washington University, and many others (R,R,R,R,R).
So now you can buy NMN supplements everywhere.
However, this greatly increased demand lead also to unscrupulous sellers to offer low-purity NMN supplements, or even NMN supplements that do not contain NMN.
Some NMN supplements claim to be “high-purity NMN”, while they are in fact low-purity NMN. Some NMN supplements even have less than 80 percent purity.
What the other 20 percent contains is not known to customers. It can be just fillers like flour (used to reduce the cost), or it could be toxic substances created as a by-product from the NMN production process.
There are even “NMN supplements” that do not contain NMN, but just just nicotinamide (a B vitamin that looks a bit like NMN but has complete different effects on the body), or that contain nicotinamide riboside (NR).
NR is not the same as NMN. There are various reasons to believe that NMN is better than NR. We explain in this blog post why.
Given the very high manufacturing costs of NMN (it’s one of the most expensive food supplements to produce) some NMN supplement sellers adulterate their products to reduce the costs and make more profit.
So how can you find the best NMN supplement? And make sure the supplement is a trustworthy, good quality one?
You would need to pay attention to the following things:
- Make sure your NMN supplement is from a company that has top longevity scientists in its advisory board, and works with scientific consultants that are famous in the field of aging. You can google these researchers to see if they are connected to a university or lab, and check on PubMed how many studies they have published. That way you can make sure they are active, well-reputable scientists. We at NOVOS have such top experts as board members and advisors.
- Buy a high-purity (containing more than 99 percent NMN) supplement, so not one that has been adulterated with other substances.
- Make sure NMN supplement seller has worked together with third party labs that checked the supplement for contaminants such as:
- Heavy metals (e.g. lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury)
- Bacteria (e.g. E coli, S aureus, Salmonella)
- Yeast and mold
- Toxins (e.g. acetonitrile, heptane, dioxane, acetone, methanol, methylene chloride, dimethylforamide, dioxane, toluene, benzene, etc). Toluene is an important contaminant that needs to checked.
- Be aware, some companies only test heavy metals, but not microorganisms like yeast and bacteria, or only test for microorganisms and not for heavy metals.
- Make sure your NMN supplement is produced in a facility that works according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and to the latest ISO norms.
- Make sure your NMN supplement has been third-party tested by independent testing services to confirm purity and safety. Such a testing service company should ideally be a very well-known and reputable one, like NSF International, US Pharmacopeia (USP), TGA, IFOS & IKOS or Consumer Lab. Many sellers of NMN supplements use less well-known and less reputed testing companies.
Not every NMN supplement is the same. NOVOS Boost is an NMN supplement that checks off all the points mentioned above, offering third-party tested, high-grade, high-purity NMN.
We use rigorous science, work together with he top scientific experts in the aging field, and do due diligence and conduct trustworthy extensive testing to make sure you have the best high-quality NMN supplement, which pairs excellently with our foundational formulation, NOVOS Core.